Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Light of the World

Last night our family went to Rosemary Beach to watch them light up the huge Christmas tree in the center of town. We have never been and I have always wanted to go. So yesterday morning before the boys left to go fishing and the girls left to go shopping, I asked if everyone could be home by 5:00 and ready to go at 5:30 to see the lights. The boys were a bit of a hard sell because it was their last day to fish, but everyone agreed to be home. I could hardly wait for the lights!

We headed to Rosemary right at 5:30. I really didn't know what to expect but I had my heart set on going and my camera on my shoulder. We parked about a block away and walked. You would not have believed the people! They were everywhere! It was wild! All the families and children and even pets were so fun to watch! They were playing Christmas music and and all the shops had open house, it was just festive and fun. We had the perfect view from where we stood! We stood back from the tree on the ledge of a fountain just above the crowd. I tried to take pictures with my phone, but it was too dark and then this one light came on and a woman stepped up to a microphone. There was a hush over the crowd as she began to speak. She welcomed everybody and then introduced a talented group of singers who sang Silver Bells without music. It was beautiful. Then a horse drawn sleigh made its way through the crowd carrying you know who... Santa. I wish you could have heard the children screaming and clapping. My children, of course, were making me laugh hysterically as they were quoting the movie Elf! "Santa!!!! I know him!!!" Anyway, it was so much fun! Santa made his way to the stage and gave the count down to turn on the town! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Wow!!!!! The biggest tree I've ever seen came to life with every color light you can imagine! Then the crowd began to sing "Deck the Halls," and every tree in the center of town came to life with white light. It was spectacular! The lights were so bright it was like daytime! I loved it! I loved being there! My sweet husband even thanked me for getting everybody there! It was great! After the lights were on, families stood in the green under the lights while the children played and people took a million pictures! It was a sight to see! If that doesn't put you in the Christmas spirit nothing will! It was truly beautiful!

After the "photo op", we were ready to go. Right before we got to the car, I turned around to get one last look. Even from a block away the lights were brighter than ever. Standing in the darkness of the parking lot so far away, somehow the lights were more beautiful! I guess it was because I could see them all at once and how they truly brought the entire town to life. It was moving. I so wish you could have been there!

As Christmas time grows closer I think about our country. You don't have to look any further than the television or newspaper or magazines to see that so many people have lost  their way. I so desire my life to be like the trees in Rosemary. When they turned those lights on it illuminated the darkness completely. It turned night into day and allowed everybody to see clearly. I want to be light in a dark world. I want to remind people that there is hope. I want others to see Jesus in me. It's so easy to get caught up in the busy of Christmas and forget to love those around us. This Christmas let your light shine!                                       love love love Ruthie

Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:18

Don't forget to leave a comment and automatically be entered for my giveaway Nov.30!

1 comment:

  1. Ruthie, your enthusiasm and joyful disposition is so uplifting! I am SO thankful I 'discovered' your blog! During my afternoon break at work I go to your blog to see what words of insight and encouragement you are sharing that day. You are truly an inspiring person and I thank you for sharing a bit of your joy with all of us who enjoy reading what you have to say. God bless you, Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete