Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Quick Valentine How to

DSC_0326I  am so glad you stopped by! Thank you for reading my blog yesterday on traditions and leaving such great ideas! I love hearing about you and all the creative things you do! It's beginning to look a lot like Valentines around here! Last night I actually made a valentine skirt for myself. My sweet husband came in and tried not to laugh, but be an encourager and sweetly asked where I was going to wear it? ( He just texted me and asked me out for dinner tonight...I think I'll wear it tonight! IF I knew how to put a smiley face right now I would! I'm dying laughing!) Anyway...obviously we are making fun things around here and I will post some of them over the next couple of days.

I have actually been getting my studio ready for a couple of valentine art classes. I'm so excited! I have a few different groups coming to my studio to make handmade valentines. How fun is that? I will definitely post end results. I've been gathering goodies lacey, pink, and sparkley for the occasion. I've also made some things to help inspire creative thinking. This is one of my designs. I wanted to share it with you to hopefully get your creative wheels turning! Let me know what you think!

DSC_0322

The class is actually coming to make Valentine cards, but I worked on a 6x6 piece of MDF. I covered the board with book pages using a gel medium like mod podge. It does not have to be perfect. In fact the less perfect the better. Then I cut different strips of patterned paper to paint on and create a border. Don't grow attached to anything you choose, because when you are doing mixed media the key is to layer layer layer.

DSC_0323

Here you can see that I covered everything in paint and gel medium. I left a little of the book page showing because I liked it. However, I have no idea if it will even be recognizable when i'm done. As you can see I cut hearts out of patterned paper and painted them. Remember, the hearts aren't a perfect shape. Be brave, just cut and have fun. Try to cut different sizes. When everything is a different shape and size, it's much more interesting to look at. Keep layering.

DSC_0324

Once you've layered all your paper, paint, and whatever else you choose, add detail with stamps, markers and pens. I think this is my favorite part. I add paint, pen, ink...the list is endless. Don't be afraid, keep adding stuff! It's so much fun. Someone asked me one time, "How do you know when you're finished layering?" Great question. Sometimes you just have to step away from your work and decide, "I'm done!"

DSC_0326

I really love the way this turned out! I added a lot more paint than I intended too, but I think it works in this situation. Like I mentioned earlier, the beginning stages are almost unrecognizable. That is the really cool part. You don't always know what you're going to end up with when it comes to mixed media! I love that! I did print out a little love note and attached it with gel medium. You can put whatever you like or not at all. I hope this inspires you to create your own valentine today! I love all your ideas, post your creations and let me see! I'd love it!!  Thank you for stopping by! I loved creating with you today! Leave me a comment or picture of your designs! I cannot wait to see what you come up with! Happy Creating! love love love Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment