Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dancing Queen

[caption id="attachment_1735" align="alignleft" width="227"]Art Journal Art Journal[/caption]

I am so glad you stopped by! I need your help. One of my girls lived with a precious girl, named Abby. Abby now works and writes for Potential Magazine. If you have not seen her magazine, you need too! It's great and filled with fabulous information for parents and teens. I love it!

She is doing a spread on High School proms. She asked me for a few dating tips for girls and boys. She is creating a "parenting tip" spot in the magazine. I adore Abby and answered her with a very quick "Yes," and that was three days ago. Three tips on dating? Really? Only three? And just quick tips? Who can do that? Dating is so much more than three tips! As parents we have been teaching and training our children since birth, and I'm suppose to narrow years of training into three tips? I must admit I'm probably over thinking the whole thing, but it was a lot more difficult than I thought! That is where you come in! I'd love to know what you think! What tips on proms or dating can you share on my blog with parents of teens? I absolutely cannot wait to hear what you have to say! This is so fun!

Honestly I am not a big fan of dances for a lot of reasons. Even growing up I didn't love the dance, but I did love dressing up and twirling. I think it's really funny to see everyone's different reactions at just the mention of the word "dances." That word alone can stir up some emotion. It also seems like everyone has a horror story or two. I know I do. My sweet husband tells the story about taking a girl to a dance and not seeing her for the entire night until it was time to go home. His daddy then picked them up and offered to take them to get ice cream. Eddie was so mad he had not even danced one time with his date, he certainly wasn't taking her for ice cream. We laugh about it now, but at the time, that was a long night.

I mentioned to my daughter that I was blogging thoughts on dances and she was very sweet with her response. She encouraged me to ask you your thoughts rather than expressing mine. We laughed hysterically as she respectfully told me that I had much stronger convictions on dances and dating than most people, and that it would probably be a good idea if I kept them to myself. She is right. We have done things a little differently and I do tend to get a little passionate when it comes to my children. Interestingly enough, she did say she was thankful for our boundaries and convictions and would probably incorporate them with her own children one day. I love that because it is for sure I've done a lot of things wrong, but when your child looks back and thanks you for something it touches your heart in a special way.

So I'm following my child's advice and asking you what tips you would give to parents of boys or girls or both about dating or dances. I can't wait to hear what you have to say! Please post it on my blog so all my readers can enjoy your ideas! Thanks y'all and tomorrow I will post the tips I sent to Abby. Thanks for stopping by! I loved having you!

Love love love Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment