Friday, June 8, 2012

Party Banner

Hi! I am so glad you stopped by! Today is friday, my favorite day of the week, so I thought it would be fun to share a project with you that you can do at home! Do you ever walk into a store and refuse to buy something because you know you can make it...but you never do? Or maybe you attempt to make it and you wish you'd bought the one in the store? Well, truly the story of my life. I always walk out of a store empty handed because I am so positive I can make it myself. I am not kidding, for the past four years I have refused to buy an Easter dress because I KNOW I can make it. How many years will it take for me to realize I should definitely purchase that Easter dress? I had a speaking engagement in February and one of my sweet friends was asking all about my topic and then as girls do asked me what I was going to wear. To be honest, my clothes are usually an afterthought whatever I do. I looked at her and said I think I will make myself a skirt and throw on a cute little sweater with it. She knows my track record with the Easter dress thing so she gently recommended I have a backup plan. Anyway, the night before I was to speak I am on my sewing machine determined to make my skirt. I finished it, put it on, modeled it for the family, and then threw it in the trash. When will I learn to have a backup plan?

  I had a graduation party for my niece this spring and I wanted to decorate the house with lots of color and fun. I had noticed that the "banners" were in every store I went. So of course I refuse to buy one and make it myself! I saw tons of banners made out of all different kinds of materials from plastic to fabric. I decided for mine I would use paper. Mainly because I had it on hand and I knew it would be easy to work with. So I took some photos of myself making it so you could see how easy it is and actually make it yourself! I made 5 flags with paper from my local craft store and covered it in paint, stamps, and gel medium or mod podge. I sewed 2 flags together with batting in between the two. ( I actually used polar fleece fabric I had left over from a previous project) Once all five flags were sewn up, I sewed glitter ribbon to the top of each flag. This was a blast! You need to try it! Then hang it up at your next party! Decorate your flags with text or holiday themed stuff! Really the possibilities are endless! Let me know how yours turns out!     Here is the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKg0Ooi7rxM&feature=youtu.be

3 comments:

  1. I loved doing this project with you! It turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful Ruthie so proud of you amazed that you are mine ! i love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fabulous!!! i love love love it!!!

    ReplyDelete