Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Who is Your Neighbor?

[caption id="attachment_1632" align="alignleft" width="300"]         Joy to the World
6x6 Collage Acrylic Overlay[/caption]

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! I love it! And I'm so glad you stopped by! Do you just love everything about this time of year? I do! I do! I do! I love the lights, the music, the cheesy movies...I love it all! There's just a feeling you have in your heart the whole month of December. Do you know what I mean? I bake more, I write more notes, I smile more, I wave at people I don't know....I can't really explain it, but I love it! Yesterday the twins and I met for ice cream after school, and I spoke to everyone in the place before I sat down to eat. I just feel like every day my heart is so full, and it overflows all day where ever I go. I love that!

Sunday our preacher, Mr Mac, read the story of the good Samaritan from the bible. (Luke 10:25-37) He asked the question, "Who is your neighbor?" Scripture teaches that the first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and the second is to love your neighbor as yourself. The obvious answer to Mr. Mac's question would be your spouse, your family and your friends. However, the convicting and compelling story of the good Samaritan reminds me that my "neighbor"is also that person whom I do not know and isn't at all like me. Not only that, but I am to love them as I love myself. Wow! When I think about how I love myself with just every day basic needs like food, clothing, and exercise. I even splurge on luxuries like treating myself to lunch or a new pair of shoes. I take good care of myself... and I am to love my "neighbor" with that same love and respect.  To me, loving my neighbor is an attitude of the heart. I don't believe we are born with that attitude. I believe we are born with a sinful and selfish heart, however with God's help I believe we can train our minds and our hearts to put others before ourselves and truly love them unselfishly. Love is not something you buy,but rather something you have that your share or give. It 's giving your time, or being kind, or a wave, a smile, a conversation, a listening ear, an encouraging word. It's all those things and more. To me it's being a reflection of Jesus. It's allowing Him to fill you up so that He can spill out on every one you meet! I LOVE that! So the next time you treat yourself to an hour in the gym or a cookie at the mall. remember to love your neighbor as yourself!

Love love love Ruthie                      I am making banners on my blog tomorrow so check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Ruthie!!
    Thank you so much for this!! You have no idea what this means to me, especially today!! You are such a great friend and an encouragement!!

    Love, Betsy Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Betsy!!! Eddie and I were cleaning out this wknd and found a precious note from your husband! Thank you! We love y'all so much and don't say it enough! Promise y'all will come eat dinner with us after Christmas! Thank you for reading my blog! That means so much! The Carlsons love the MCRoberts with wild abandonment!!!!!!!! R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you collage Joy to the World. Love your posts, they are such an encouragement and reminder to me. Love you . Thanks for sharing . :)

    ReplyDelete