Monday, September 16, 2013

Picture Frames you can Make

I'm so glad you stopped by! I've been creating fun things in my studio. KK and I saw some frames we really liked when we were out of town and decided to created some of our own. I thought you might like to see what we came up with.

IMG_2341

 

First I got a piece of MDF from Home Depot. Now Home Depot will cut it for you, but I decided to bring this piece home and let my sweet husband cut it... quality time!!! I measured my piece to be 8"X12". No reason. I just eyeballed it and liked it.

IMG_2342

I sanded my edges just a little and then stained the board. I typically use a light stain on my wood, but I chose a darker color for this project. I want the dark color to show through later on.

IMG_2343

It doesn't have to be perfect. But for this project I wanted to be sure my edges were stained well.

IMG_2346

Paint your background. Because I had such a dark stain I  painted two coats. I chose green just because it's one of my favorite colors. You could use any color. Don't forget to paint the sides.

IMG_2348

The fun part! After the background paint is completely dry, grab a stencil and your second favorite color and paint away! I chose a cream color to stencil and I did do two coats here too.

IMG_2350 IMG_2351

I love it! I got a piece of sand paper and sanded my edges and a little off the middle to give  it a vintage aged look. It's hard to see from this photo, but the dark stain coming through after I sanded is a really cool look. Let it dry.

IMG_2352 IMG_2354

Do you love it? I love it! OK, a couple of things you can do here. I was throwing away some old frames and I saved the glass. So this particular project I used that old glass. I used carpet nails and slid the glass right in and the picture behind. IF you wanted to use an acrylic frame you could do that and just glue it in place or use the nails either way. I just like the look of the nails. You can actually see the stain coming through on this pic. I think it turned out perfectly. You could embellish with type or twine or anything really. I just liked it plain and simple this time.

IMG_2357

To finish the project, I put a little hanger on the back. You can find them anywhere. They are easy to add. I had an old library card envelope that  I put on the back and put a card in it with my information on it. How fun is that? You could paint the back if you wanted to, I chose to leave it plain. I like it!  Have fun crafting! Send me pictures! I'd love to know what you think! Leave me a comment!                                                 love love love Ruthie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment