Friday, September 13, 2013

Dead Lifts

[caption id="attachment_2016" align="alignleft" width="224"]Derby Girl Oil on Canvas Derby Girl
Oil on Canvas[/caption]

I'm so glad you stopped by. I was in the gym yesterday with my precious friends Connie and Su Su. We work out together almost every day. When I walked in yesterday I noticed there were dead lifts in the workout. ( Dead lifts are not my favorite...at all) We warmed up and then made our way over to the bars. As I stood staring at my weights, I was trying to calculate how much it weighed. Before I could even add it all up, I turned to the trainer and told him I didn't think I could lift it. He walked past me and patted me on the shoulder and said "You can do it. It's in your mind." I stood there a minute to convince myself that I could do it, then squatted to the bar and adjusted my hands. I tuned out all the sound around me to where all I could hear were my thoughts, my worst enemy. I stepped away from the bar to get it together, again. I was fighting being emotional. After a few deep breaths, I moved in again. I slowly but surely lifted the weight five times in a row. After the fifth time I dropped the weight  and asked the trainer to take off some of the weight. I had 25 more to go and there was no way I could lift that thing 25 more times. He tried to persuade me to leave the weight on the bar. He had watched me lift the weight and he believed I could complete the workout with no problem. I did not believe him. I did not trust his decision and asked him to take it off. He took off 10 pounds and I flew through six rounds of dead lifts, 15 box jumps, and 20 weighted ball slams.

I have to admit, when I was finished, I was a little disappointed in myself. I chose to stay within my comfort zone, a weight I'd lifted 100 times before. I didn't trust the wisdom of the expert. He trains everyday, all day, it's what he does. His job is to train me and make me stronger. Yet I am only as strong as I think I am. In other words, I chose to trust in myself rather than the expert.

Question....Do you know God? Talk about strength! He created the Universe! Maybe you've heard about Him? He knows you, He made you! Maybe you've heard the stories about how He parted the Red Sea, or flooded the earth, or calmed the storm with just a breath. The most powerful thing He did was to send His only son to earth to die on the cross for your sins and mine. He did that because He loved you and me. John 3:16. He is mighty. He is amazing. He lives in me. I am His and I have complete access to His power and might every day all day. Yet, so often I am only as strong as I think I am. I choose to live in my own strength trusting in my own limited abilities. He is power. He has no limitations. He is God! He is enough!  "Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. They shall  mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Love love love Ruthie

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment