Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sippy Cups & Goldfish

[caption id="attachment_1395" align="alignleft" width="243"] Oil on Canvas[/caption]

Thanks for stopping by! If you follow my blog you know that every Monday I have lunch with my mama and my sister at Zoe's Kitchen. Well, Monday was no exception. It's kind of funny, we meet every week on the same day, at the same place, at the same time, we order the same thing, and we almost always sit in the same spot. However, Monday  our favorite booth was taken by two precious young moms and their children. I must admit, the minute I saw them sitting there it immediately took me back to life filled with sippy cups and goldfish. Even now as I'm writing this I cand see my children working that sippy cup like it was their last drink and putting it down and saying "gone gone." I love it!! Anyway...the darling mama's were dressed to the nines and their children, a boy and a girl about the age of two, were also dressed up for the lunch date. A fun little outing before nap time. Their lunch was served and before anyone could even pick up a fork, the little boy began screaming at the top of his lungs. Everyone, of course, turns to look, and that sweet mama was doing everything she could to make him happy. Do I even need to tell you he would have no part of it. She handed him food, drink, cake, toys, keys and with every attempt she made he grew louder and more intense. She finally let him out of his high chair, obviously hoping for a miracle, and he took off running and screaming through the restaurant. I think it was safe to say he was having a total meltdown. There was absolutely nothing that sweet mama could do or say to make her baby boy happy. You know the end of the story. She gathered her things and took him home and never had the first bite of her lunch.

We have all been there in some shape or form. You are probably thinking to yourself if it had been me, I would have done this or I would have done that. But I want to focus your attention on that sweet baby boy. Are we not just like him? Think about it. We may not run through a restaurant screaming at the top of our lungs, but we do have "grown up" ways of getting what we want. We might use the silent treatment, or have a hateful argument, or even use hurtful sarcasm to make our point. What ever method we choose, are we not just like that little boy? And if we are really being honest, when we actually do get our way, was it worth it? What ever we thought we needed, did it really satisfy our heart? I can say from experience, selfishness is never worth it, and it never satisfies. There was nothing that mama could do to satisy her sweet boy. The outing was ruined and he probably fell asleep from exhaustion on the way home.

When I think about that little boy, I am reminded that there is nothing in this world that can truly satisfy my heart. There is no relationship, no drug, no vacation, no anything that can fully satisfy the longing in my heart. Only God can meet that need.   Psalm 23, The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want. In other words, He takes care of me and provides my every need. He provides everything I need. Everything. ...Oh God, YOU ARE MY GOD, ...in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water! Psalm 63:1. I hope that fills your heart the way it does mine! Love love love Ruthie

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me! So true are your words of wisdom. Only can our thirst be satisfied by HIM. Thank you as always for reaching down and calling me to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie,
    Your posts just warm my heart. I am so grateful God has given you such a special gift that you in turn share with all of us. Praising Him . He knows exactly what we need and is always on time.

    ReplyDelete