Friday, August 24, 2012

Handmade

I'm so glad you stopped by! Guess what day it is? Well, guess what day it is in my studio? Give up?...It's Christmas in my studio. If you follow me on instagram you have seen the lights twinkling in my studio. (follow me on instagram, ruthiecarlson I would love to have you!) Don't panic, it's not really Christmas yet, but it's never too early to start thinking about making fun things for your family and friends! I love to give handmade gifts! Even more than that, I love to receive handmade gifts. You know you do too! How sweet is it when someone brings you cookies they made wrapped in cellophane with big red and green ribbon and a precious tag they made from scraps of paper and twine!!!!! It totally beats any gift that you could purchase....other than jewelry with lots of diamonds.... I'm just kidding! Seriously, a handmade gift speaks volumes. It shows love in a big way! It blows my mind to think someone took time out of their day to make something with me in mind. Pretty cool.

I love to make gifts for my family and friends! I've actually contemplated doing an online workshop teaching people to make gifts. I've already got 10 gifts in mind to teach! I love it! What do you think?  I would love to know. I've been busy this week in my studio making a few things for friends and family and gift shops. I know it seems early to be creating Christmas gifts, but when the idea hits me I have to do it! I had some fun ideas using Christmas songs and creating a piece of art around it. I really like how they turned out. I covered them with resin, and once they were completely dry the finished product was exactly what I had pictured in my head. I'm going to finish these pieces with eyelets on top with a thin gauge wire. Then I will wrap them in big cellophane with ribbon!

I hope this inspires you to be thinking and creating something special for your friends and family this Christmas. If you bake, create a paper mache bowl or plate. Decoupage a tin box or wooden plate. Buy a paper mache box at your local craft store and paint it or decoupage it! My friend, Connie, bought some inexpensive candle holders and spent an afternoon painting and stressing them. They are breathtaking and would make the perfect gift! You could do the same thing with a picture frame. Truly the possibilities are endless and fun! And by thinking about it now, you might actually have time to do it! I love all the diy Christmas shows, but they need to show them in july when you have a little time. When they air those shows in December, it's a little overwhelming! So, it's August and the weekend. Create something this weekend. Take a little time to pull out those paints and try something new. If you are all out of ideas, google something! There are a million ideas out there! Let me know what you come up with! I would love to see it! Have fun creating this weekend!! love love love, Ruthie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment