Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Peek Inside Our House at Thanksgiving

DSC_0028  I am so glad you stopped by! Happy Thanksgiving!!! This is a pretty fabulous day in the United States! The news reports that it is the most traveled holiday. I love that! My earliest memories of thanksgiving were of my grandparents, Beba and Deeg, driving from Selma to have lunch with us. While mama was cooking, the men watched football and I would take Beba to my room and play records and have concerts for her. Then we would sit around the table, which seemed like for hours, and eat turkey and dressing and listen to grown ups talk forever. Then we would move to the den (to a much more comfortable chair) and then men would fall asleep and the girls would talk and talk and talk some more. As a child, I don't know think it was my favorite holiday.

Today Thanksgiving looks a little different. We still eat turkey and dressing, but times have definitely changed. and with five children there is never a dull moment. Conversation is never ending and there is always activity. Someone is always jogging or hunting or creating. The kitchen is the most popular room in the house whether we are eating, cooking or telling stories. It really is so much fun having everyone home. Every year life changes a little and holidays look a little different, but no matter what life brings, my heart overflows.

I love that we have a holiday that reminds people to stop and be thankful. I love social media the month of November, because everyone is constantly posting something they're thankful for. I love that! I feel like because it's Thanksgiving, people are more comfortable saying out loud that they are thankful. Do you know what I mean? I think we should be thankful out loud everyday! It's early in the morning here and I've sent a couple of texts to friends telling them I'm thankful for them and that I love them.  I need to do that everyday! Not just thanksgiving! Imagine giving and receiving love and thankfulness out loud everyday! Oh my goodness! What an different world this would be! Everybody wants to be loved. It's how we are made. So love out loud today, tomorrow and the next day and the next day...my heart is beating faster just thinking about it!

Happy Thanksgiving to you today! Where ever you are today and what ever you are doing today, be thankful.  I am thankful for you! love love love Ruthie

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you and the blessing you are to me and everyone you meet!! Love you and hope you enjoy your day with your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige! Truly you bless my heart in such a big way! You have no idea! Happy Happy Day to you and your sweet family! I love you! R

    ReplyDelete